How to Clean Your Microwave
A simple cooking mishap is all it can take for your nice clean microwave to turn into a grimy, smelly state in a heartbeat! We believe that the key to success with keeping your microwave clean is to give it regular care and attention.
One of the great things about keeping your microwave clean, is that you can use a lot of your everyday kitchen items for the process, and don’t need any specialist cleaning kit that you might need for granite worktops or wood for example. One common cleaning fluid to stay away from according to General Electric is bleach, as it is said to cause damage to the interior plastic in the microwave and can cause considerable damage over time.
As regards staining, unless you leave things for an extended period, it’s unlikely that you will have an issue
Check out our guide below to keep your microwave clean.
Cleaning the interior of the microwave including the turntable:
- Mix a combination of water, lemon, and orange slices together and put in a microwavable bowl. You can always add some vinegar in too.
- Put your microwave onto a high-power setting for several minutes, until the mixture inside starts to boil.
- Let the mixture cool down, open the microwave door, and clean thoroughly with a sponge.
Cleaning the microwave doors:
- Clean the whole door (edges, front and back) with a baking soda and water mixture. We recommend cleaning thoroughly with a sponge, and then drying it off with a clean cloth.
- If your microwave door is quite greasy, we recommend cleaning using a half vinegar and half water mixture, and then drying off again with a clean cloth.
- If you have a heavy build up of grease on the doors, then it may want to wash thoroughly with a soap and water mix, taking care not to spill cleaning fluid into the vents of the door. Alternatively, you could purchase a dedicated grease cleaning spray.
Getting rid of bad smells in a microwave:
- If they are light odours from booking such as spicy foods etc. then a bowl of baking soda with the door closed can be a good way to absorb smells.
- For stronger odours then we would recommend putting a tablespoon of vinegar into water and running the microwave for about 15 minutes.
Carrying out this process on a regular basis is a great way to keep your microwave sparkling clean and smelling great. If you would like some assistance with general domestic cleaning in the Manchester area of the UK, then please call our home cleaning team on +44(0) 161 280 7193. We have cleaners available 7 days a week and you can call us anytime from 10am to 10pm.